SPCNI Articles and Reports, (re)print materials
January 21, 2012. Paper copies of the SPCNI Almanac back issues are available for $4.00 each. For overeas orders of print or digital materials, add $3.00 for postage per order.
If a specific article or report does not include "Contact SPCNI Secretary", the society does not hold a copyright or a distribution agreement for that item. Contact a reprint service or your local library to get a copy.
- A Revision of the Pacific Coast Irises, by Lee W. Lenz. Aliso, Volume 4, No.1, pages 1-72 (l958). The most complete survey of the PCI, with clear descriptions of each species and race, keys and distributions maps, comments on the reliability of identifying features, full-page illustrations of typical characteristics. Reprinted copies are available from SPCNI Secretary [$8.00 postpaid].
- Hybridization and speciation in the Pacific Coast Irises, by Lee W. Lenz. Aliso, Volume 4, No. 2, pages 237-309 (l959). A companion to the above report, Lenz described natural and artificial cross fertilization in each of the different PCI species. Crosses between Californicae species often produce vigorous, fertile hybrids showing a wide variation of color and vegetative growth. Reprints are available from SPCNI; $8.00 postpaid; contact SPCNI Secretary.
- Get both Lenz reprints for $14.00. Contact SPCNI Secretary.
- The Pacific Coast Native Irises, by Edward K Balls. American Iris Society Bulletin, No. 152 (January, l959). Over several years, the author accompanied Dr. Lenz on PCNI expeditions. His most memorable sites for each species and distinctive natural hybrids are described in a colorful article. [Reprinted in the SPCNI Almanac, Vol. 18(1): 6-14, Fall 1989]. $4.00 for this issue of the Almanac, or see the Almanac CD. Contact SPCNI Secretary.
- A Guide to the Pacific Coast Irises, by Victor A. Cohen. Published by the British Iris Society; 40 pages (1967). A synopsis of each species and race, with full-page drawings showing identifying features, a distribution map, color range, black-and-white and color photographs. Reprints are available from SPCNI; $8.00 postpaid. Contact SPCNI Secretary.
- Check List of Pacific Coast Native Iris - Cultivars and Species Through 2005. Paper copy, 70 pages. Also available as CD. $9.00 for either version, or $14 for both. Contact SPCNI Secretary.
- Diseases of the Pacific Coast Iris. Almanac, Special Issue, 22 pages, 9 photographs (1986), $4.00. Contact SPCNI Secretary.
- SIGNA Checklist of Species Iris. There are sections on classification, subgenera, pronunciation, parts of the flower, alphabetical listing of species, an updated cultivar list, color photos of all the SIGNA medal winners, a systematic outline of species, and much more in a 400+ page notebook. Cost is $50 plus shipping & handling. Contact SIGNA Publications Chair for ordering information and postage costs. The current publications chair is, as of 2010, Carla Lankow, 11118 169th Avenue SE, Renton, WA 98059, or see the SIGNA website for email address, http://www.signa.org/index.pl?Checklist.
- Pacific Coast Iris species delimitation using three species definitions: biological, phylogenetic and genealogical. by Nelson D. Young, Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, Vol. 63:99-120 (l998). A thoughtful consideration of how the PCN iris can freely interbreed where their ranges overlap (or in the garden), yet still be treated as 11 distinct species. There is a fee for this reprint service - http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119111624/issue.
- Pacific Coast Iris - Species and Cultivars. Growing Native Newsletter, January/February, 1996 (pages 6-10). One of a series of articles in an issue dedicated mostly to PCIs, this article contains the experience and insight of two decades of experience by Lewis and Adele Lawyer with PCIs. To obtain a copy, contact Louise Lacey, the editor/author of Growing Native; she can be reached online at http://www.growingnative.com/topics/perennials.html; digital copies of all years of this journal are available through her website.
- Recent articles on PCI genetics will be added when online access can be arranged.
- Almanac CD. Almanacs (1972-2007), Index to Almanacs (1972-2007), and Checklist of Species and Cultivars to 2006, on one compact disc. All files are in PDF format. $15. Contact SPCNI Secretary.
- Photographs of Species and Cultivars CD 2009. This CD replaces older slide carousels and a prior photo CD edition. $9.00. Contact SPCNI Secretary.
- Introduction to Pacific Coast Iris CD 2010. A 17-minute Powerpoint™ presentation by Jay and Terri Hudson. PCI species, hybridization history, Mitchell Medal winners and cultivation methods; suitable for LCD projection, with preset image advance; images may be reviewed more slowly by using onscreen pause button, lower left corner. $9.00. Contact SPCNI Secretary.
- Check List of Pacific Coast Native Iris––Cultivars and Species Through 2005, CD edition. Also available as paper copy, 70 pages. $9.00 for either version, or $14 for both. Contact SPCNI Secretary.